8.30.2009

The Start of the Run

After a few short pit stops back at the house for food, drink, and a short one-hour nap, we went out to cheer her on in the marathon...and that's really where the Ironman is just beginning.

I have cheered for several NY Marathons and I have run the marathon once myself so I didn't expect the scene that unfolded in front of me for the Ironman. My marathon was hard, sure, but it ultimately was a celebration of fitness and something I really enjoyed doing all the way through.

This was like a world-wide-zombie war had broken out and, you couldn't tell if these people were the zombies or the shell-shocked survivors.

Here's Michelle at around mile 4. She was walking at this point because her stomach hurt and we (the spectator gang) were all very worried about her but had to try not to show it. We wanted to be encouraging, but also give her a kick in the ass if she needed it. You can see the result:
IMC_109

But, finally, she started running again (prolly just to get away from us) and was off on her own until we would see her again around mile 13.2.
IMC_111

You can read her account of the run here.

No comments:

Post a Comment