10.22.2004

Nike Marathon

IMGP0183IMGP0329
All this time, in 2004, I had been training secretly to run the inaugural Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. I say "secretly" because I only told J and my friend T that I was doing it. I literally didn't tell a soul I was planning this because I didn't want to have to tell a bunch of people if I couldn't hack the training or I didn't finish the race. I didn't tell my own parents until about 2 or 3 weeks AFTER the race when my mom asked me why I had been out of town that weekend. The toughest month of training took place while J was in Australia too so he didn't get the joy of seeing me after my first 18 mile training run (but he also wasn't around to complain that I spent every weekend either running for 4 hours or recovering from running for four hours).

The three of us, Me, J, and T flew out to San Fran for the big weekend! T was a veteran of the NY Marathon so I knew he'd be excellent moral support.

No comments:

Post a Comment