3.31.2008

Treasures

D300_DSC_0154_web640This is my bedside table. Two of the things in this picture were forgotten treasures that came out of one of those remaining boxes; the little glass dish - glued up from a clean break through the center, and the little tiny lamp - probably one of my most, if not THE most prized posession. I bought this lamp in about 1998 (oh my God, I just realized as I typed it that 1998 was a decade ago), at an auction sale in Manassas. I went with my cousin and my mom and hadn't planned on really buying anything. I saw this little lamp and absolutely fell in love. My mom's advice was to decide how much I felt I could spend on the lamp and then bid up to that price. But, I got into a bidding war and suddently I HAD to have this lamp!!!! I ended up spending an outrageous sum (for a college student, and really, for anyone) of $80. I have never regretted one penny of it, not once, I will have this lamp for the rest of my life and it brings me so much comfort.

The top glass shade used to hang on a scrolling hook that looped up from there you see the "handle" on the right. It was beautiful. Unfortunately, the WORST cat in the whole world, RatFace, broke it in a rampage. Amazingly, only the brass loop broke, not the glass on either the top or bottom so the lamp was salvaged. But, I was heartbroken over that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment