11.21.2010

Vancouver


It had been three years since I'd been to Vancouver and it wasn't until after we got home this time and I looked up my old blog posts that I remembered that I had been sort of "meh" re: Vancouver the last time we went. Apparently since the Winter Olympics were held this year, the city's homeless problem has gotten a lot worse. It had a very different feel to last time. There were aggressive drug addicts begging everywhere and lots of places that should have been fine made me feel unsafe. Walking the streets was not very relaxing. Last night after dinner, we were asked by a man to go into a convenience tore to buy him some bread and peanut butter. We couldn't say no, and I was happy to buy him food, except that the process made me really nervous as my NY instincts told me this was just a setup for some terrible mugging. It worked out ok though. But all night and day I walked the streets very nervously and clinging to J's arm which I never really did except on occasion in NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment