6.03.2008

Rain II

D300_DSC_3003_web640


Today I read a poem by Raymond Carver that made me want to pull out my camera and shoot, even if it was just simple photos. Something about whiling the day away "working" on anything but the real work at hand. So, I headed out into the alley in the pouring down rain to prove to myself that I could make a nice image just in my alley and just for the hell of it. I tend to forget this now and then.

Later, when I was reading more poetry late at night, and J had the TV on mute as he usually does, the subtitles came up and said [train careening], which I thought was odd since I never thought that careening implied a sound. In the interest of continually tring to expand my vocabulary I looked up careening just to be sure I was right and I found this RIDICULOUS usage note at the bottom of the dictionary entry:

"Usage Note: The implication of rapidity that most often accompanies the use of careen as a verb of motion may have arisen naturally through the extension of the nautical sense of the verb to apply to the motion of automobiles, which generally careen, that is, lurch or tip over, only when driven at high speed. There is thus no reason to conclude that this use of the verb is the result of a confusion of careen with career, "to rush." Whatever the origin of this use, however, it is by now so well established that it would be pedantic to object to it."

Oh yes, PEDANTIC to object...I do say.

No comments:

Post a Comment